The West Philly Tool Library is a community-based, non-profit tool lending library. The Tool Library loans tools to community members to perform simple home maintenance, tend their yards and gardens, build furniture, start projects, and learn new skills in a safe and affordable manner. We aim to be a community resource to provide homeowners, tenants, long-time residents, and newcomers with the tools—and the knowledge to work the tools—they need.
The Tool Library seeks Board members committed to the organization’s mission and to the broad diversity of our members and stakeholders. The Tool Library has two paid part-time tool librarians who staff the Tool Library during open hours and a paid part-time Executive Director who also doubles as our tool mechanic. Much of the supporting work of the Tool Library is performed by its volunteer Board of Directors.
The Tool Library is a fiscally-sponsored project of the Urban Affairs Coalition (UAC). Our annual budget is approximately $40,000, plus a great deal of volunteer labor and in-kind contributions. Our official opening was in 2007. In 2013, we loaned 9,000 tools to over 500 different members. As we look forward, we hope to expand the Tool Library to serve more community members.
Tool Library Board members have the following responsibilities:
- Attend board meetings (approximately 8 per year, 2 hours each, typically held late evening)
- Monitor and evaluate organizational goals, objectives, and projects
- Contribute to policy-making decisions
- Establish, implement, and help reach annual budget goals
- Make an annual gift of personal significance
- Actively participate in fundraising initiatives and special events
- Participate in at least one of the following committees: Governance; Finance; Operations; and Personnel
- Volunteer for the Tool Library at least two hours per month, in addition to meeting attendance.
- Spend Time in the Tool Library during open hours at least once every three months. This is an opportunity to get to know Library members, and become familiar with library operations.
- Posses a commitment to tolerance, equality, and broad diversity in membership at the WPTL.
Board members serve a term of two years which may be renewed. If you are interested in serving on the Board of the Tool Library, please complete the form below. A current board member will then be in contact with you. At this phase in our growth we are specifically looking for individuals who bring the following skills to our organization: finance, development, marketing; but more importantly, we want board members who are enthusiastic about the work that the Tool Library is doing. If you have any questions, please contact Michael Froehlich, Board Chair, at email@example.com.