In order to borrow tools, you must first become a member of the tool library. These are the steps to join:
- Review our Tool Lending Policy–you will not be able to create an account or borrow tools without agreeing to these terms and conditions
- Create an account*–IMPORTANT: make sure you use a valid email address and phone number, as we won’t be able to activate your membership without those; and while you’re at it, check the box to get our newsletter so you never miss important updates about closings, hour changes, etc.
- From here, there are two ways to choose and pay for your membership:
- Log into the account you just created, go to My Account, and in the “Membership Details” section, click the button that says “Subscribe now”
- Come to the Tool Library in person and pay by cash, check, or credit card
- Regardless of how you pay, you will still need to visit the Tool Library in person to activate your membership and borrow tools. You will need the following:
- a government issued photo ID
- another form of ID with your current address (such as a lease, utility bill, voter registration, auto registration, or something similar)
- the names, phone numbers, and addresses of two references (friends or family in the Philly area) who will vouch for you–we will call them while you wait, so make sure they know to expect a call
- Borrow tools! You can browse our large selection of tools in person, or you can preview our inventory using the links to the left (you can also use the search function at the top of the page)
Your existing membership has been transferred to our new system, so you can keep coming in to the Tool Library and borrowing tools as usual. If there are any issues, we will help you resolve them at your next visit.
|Annual Income||Annual Dues|
Does your organization want to borrow tools from the West Philly Tool Library to complete a project? By popular demand, we have created a new way to partner up with the West Philly Tool Library: Organizational memberships.
Organizational members are organizations such as neighborhood associations, community groups, schools, community development corporations (CDCs), and other groups that are doing good in our city’s neighborhoods.
Organizational memberships allow any authorized member of the organization to borrow and use tools from the Tool Library. Many organizations take advantage of this opportunity in order to cut their budgets by borrowing our tools to complete their projects, instead of buying new ones. Hopefully, the availability of thousands of Tool Library tools will inspire organizations to dream big.
Together, we can be even more effective in making our city a place that everyone can take pride in.
Is my organization eligible to join as an Organizational Member?
Organizational memberships are available to charitable organizations only. These include non-profit 501(c)(3) organizations, neighborhood associations, educational institutions, and places of worship. Note that your organization does not need to be a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit to qualify. Organizational memberships are not designed for informal group houses or friends working together. We recommend separate individual memberships for these situations.
How does my organization become an organizational member?
To become an organizational member, organizations must complete the on-line application below. The first time that your organization borrows tools, you will be asked to sign an agreement that you understand the Tool Policy and agree to waive and indemnify the Tool Library against injury or damage.
How does my organization borrow tools?
Each organizational member can designate individuals who may borrow tools on behalf of the agency. The designated individual can borrow tools for up to one week at a time. Regular tool policy rules apply to loans to organizational members.
How much does it cost to become an organizational member?
Organizational members pay annual dues based on their annual budget according to the schedule below.
|Annual Budget||Annual Dues|
NOTE: The new gift membership process is coming soon–get our newsletter so you don’t miss the update!
Give them a gift they’ll use again and again and again! A gift membership is great for friends, family, clients, that person who has everything…anyone, really.
Suggested gift membership levels:
|Annual Income||Annual Dues|